Search This Blog

January 4, 2014

I'm Back...Happy 2014

Hi everyone,

I know it has been a VERY LONG time since I have last posted but so much has happened in my life.  Nick and I moved to a new state, we have a new baby, and I am no longer a stay at home mom (full time teacher now).  I cannot promise that I can post everyday, but I can try to post at least once a week. For this post, I would like to share two recipes and my weekly menu.  I hope you all have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy learning some new recipes.

In 2006, while living in Fort Riley, Kansas, my then neighbor gave me a great recipe for taco soup.  I have tweaked the recipe and made it my own; I think my taco soup is pretty darn good if I do say so myself.  Although it is very tasty, lately it feels like we have had A LOT of taco soup.  Yesterday, I knew I wanted some type of soup, but I also had a taste for nachos.  So, I looked through Pinterest and google to find some inspiration.  I did find a recipe and of course I tweaked it here and there to make it my own.  So, the first recipe is called crock pot Nacho Bell Grande Soup.  Enjoy!

Crock-Pot Nacho Bell Grande Soup


Ingredients:
2lbs of ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced or 2 tbsp of minced garlic
1 package of low sodium taco seasoning (I love McCormick)
1 (10oz) can of condensed cheddar cheese soup
1 (10oz) can of diced tomatoes with green chilli's (undrained).  I like Rotel
1.5 cups of milk
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese 
Salsa (any kind you like)
Sour cream (optional)


Directions:
1. Spray your cooking pan with Pam or some type of cooking spray.  Cook ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium high heat until thoroughly cooked.  I seasoned my meat with season all, garlic powder, black pepper, a dash of crushed red pepper flakes, and accent.  When your meat is cooked, drain.





2. Spray crock pot with non-stick spray.  Place meat mixture in slow cooker.  Add taco seasoning, cheddar cheese soup, Rotel, milk, and shredded cheese.  Stir together and cook on low for 3-4 hours.  







3. Stir before serving.  When I serve mine, I add salsa and sour cream on top.  You can use taco shells, tortilla chips, or my favorite Dorito chips.  Hope you enjoy :)



The second recipe is a dessert recipe I received from my mother in law.  I love this cake.  It almost tastes like a lemon cake.  This recipe is for an orange cake.  It is super good and I know you will love it as much as my family does.  

Orange Cake


Ingredients:
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 box of instant lemon jello pudding
3/4 cups of oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of orange juice with no pulp
dash of milk


Directions: 
1. Grease and flour a pan (I used my square Pampered Chef stone).  Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 325 for glass pans.  Mix all your ingredients together well (I just add a dash of milk to make sure my cake is moist).  Bake cake for 35-40 minutes.  


2. Immediately after you remove the pan from the oven, punch holes over the entire cake (you can you a fork or a toothpick).  Pour the following topping all over the cake.  It will be absorbed leaving only a slight glaze.  

Glaze topping ingredients:
2 cups of powdered sugar
1/3 cup of orange juice
2 tsp of water
2 tbsp of softened butter

*Mix butter with powdered sugar before adding juice.




 
Weekly Menu Plan: January 6-13th
Monday: Spaghetti and meatballs
Tuesday: Sweet and Sour Chicken Drumsticks
Wednesday: Bacon Cheeseburgers
Thursday: Baked Chicken Wings
Friday: Homemade Cheese Pizza
Saturday: Open (Eat out, order in, etc.)
Sunday: Shrimp Pasta
 


No comments:

Post a Comment