Search This Blog

January 19, 2012

A Down Home Southern Style Dinner Menu: YUMMY!

So for dinner last night, I made BBQ Pork Neck bones, my mom made the best green beans I have ever had as well as her famous (TOP SECRET) cornbread dressing!  I wish I could give y'all that recipe, but this is a family recipe I dare not share :).  Some of you may not know what neck bones are.  The neck bones are from the neck and they are often cooked to season vegetables, but there are plenty of other ways to cook them. They are very tasty and I think you will enjoy the recipe below.  If you find you can't jump on the neck bone band wagon, please check out the recipe for the green beans also listed below.  Happy cooking and eating!




Recipe: BBQ Neck Bones and Green Beans
Ingredients for neck bones:
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 green pepper chopped
Seasoning (garlic, season all, black pepper)
Neck bones (I used 20 neck bones)
BBQ Sauce (At least 2 full jars of whatever flavor you like most)
1/4 cup of water
Cooking spray (PAM)


Ingredients for Green Beans:
2 cans of french style green beans
1 potato diced
1/4 cup of onion chopped
2-3 strips of bacon chopped


Directions for Neck Bones:
1. Wash your neck bones off thoroughly.  In a large pot, add water to the pot until it is 3/4 full.  Then add your 1/2 of onion and 1/2 of green pepper to the pot.  Then add seasoning to the pot (not too much, just enough to season the water...YOU DO NOT WANT IT TOO SALTY). Then add the neck bones to the pot. On medium high heat, boil the neck bones for one hour (stirring every 20 minutes).






2. In a large baking dish (I AM USING MY PAMPERED CHEF LARGE RECTANGLE STONE), spray it with cooking spray.  Then add some BBQ sauce.  After your meat has cooked for one hour, use a spoon with holes (I USED THE PAMPERED CHEF NYLON SLOTTED SPOON) to take the neck bones out of the pot and into the baking dish.  Then add some BBQ sauce on top.  It's like a layering process: place enough neck bones in the pan until you have one layer, add BBQ sauce and then add more neck bones/BBQ sauce.  You want every piece of meat to be covered with BBQ sauce.  Then using a spoon without holes, add some of the juice from the pot to your baking dish.   








3. Add about 1/4 cup of water to the baking dish.  Cover with aluminum foil.  Then bake in the oven on 350 degrees for one hour.  It should be good and tender!  Also, when I used a full jar of BBQ sauce, I added a little water to the jar, shook it, and then added that to the baking dish.  






Directions for Green Beans:
1. Chop your onion, potato, and bacon.  In a medium sized pot, add some olive oil (about 2 tbsp).  After the oil is hot, add onion, potato, and bacon to the pot.  Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.




  
2.  Then add your green beans to the pot.  Add seasoning (my mom used garlic powder and season all).  Stir well.  Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.  The stove temperature should be on medium.






3. SERVE!!!!




  

5 comments:

  1. I have been trying to find a recipe like this for some time now. Thanks for posting and the pics are super helpful. I'm about to put them in the oven so I'll postsee a comment on the end results!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post more comments on the end results:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea but where is the exact recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is posted here. I think because I changed the background, it changed the font color..sorry about that :).

      Delete
  4. Creativity of author is only spectacular. It has touched to the extent of understanding along with his writing. the entirety is up to the mark. Written flawlessly and i will use such facts for my coming task. Oakridge BBQ Canada

    ReplyDelete