Search This Blog

December 28, 2011

Mama's Southern Style Collard Greens

As a child, my mother always told me that I should watch her cook; that way when I became a grown woman, a wife, and a mother, I could cook for my family.  I remember telling her that I didn't need to learn how to cook, because I would have a maid who would cook for my family and me.  Well, when I moved out on my own, I realized quickly that I could not afford a maid and that I needed to quickly learn how to cook. I learned some basic recipes from her (enough to get me by) and I thought that would be enough until I could afford a maid :).  When I got married, I found myself still without a maid and calling my mother ALL the time for recipes.  Now, I cook so much that she calls me.  One of my favorite recipes is my mother's Southern style collard greens.  Besides my own greens, I only eat my mothers greens.  She has MANY people that ask her if she would make collard greens for their family or for a special occasion.  A friend of mine gave me a beautiful bunch of collard greens earlier in the week.  Last night, I made the best collard greens I have ever made and I thought I would share my mother's recipe with you all.  I KNOW you will enjoy them as much as I do!

Collard Greens
Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound smoked meat (I normally use smoked neck bones, but ham hocks are great too)
    • Seasoning: Garlic Powder, Season All, Accent, Black Pepper, and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes)
    • 1 large bunch collard greens
  • Canola Oil
  • 1 Medium Onion diced

(SIDE NOTE: Many people like to boil their greens, but they make their own water, so you do not have to drown them).

Directions:
1. Remove the stems that run down the center by holding the leaf in your left hand and stripping the leaf down with your right hand. Stack 6 to 8 leaves on top of one another, roll up, and slice into 1/2 to 1-inch thick slices.After all your greens are cut, WASH THEM THOROUGHLY.  You do not want dirt and insects in your greens when you serve them.  I usually wash mine about 4 or 5 times.  You will notice when you first wash them, the water will be green and dirty.  After I am done washing mine (and scrubbing them together), my water is clear.  














2. In a large stockpot, place enough oil in the pot to cover the bottom of the pot (about 2-3 tablespoons). DO NOT USE TOO MUCH OIL.  The temperature should be on medium high heat.  (Something I learned in a cooking class: place the pot on the stove, turn it on the desired temperature, let it get somewhat hot, and then add the oil). Once your oil is hot, add your ham hocks to the pot and fry them for about 2-5 minutes.  Add your onion to the pot of ham hocks and cook until they are a pretty brown color. 







3. Then add your greens to the pot (Your green's will cook down, so make sure you have enough for your family.  I had one bunch and it is enough for Nick and I to have for a couple of meals).  When you have all your greens in the pot, add your seasoning to taste.  Secret Ingredient Alert: Accent- Don't USE too much, because you don't want your greens to be salty, just a pinch or two.  I tend to use more garlic powder than anything.  Also, don't use too much crushed red pepper unless you really want your greens to be spicy.  After you add your seasoning, stir your meat and your greens up really well.  Let it cook, but remember to stir occasionally.  After cooking for about 15 minutes in the greens, take the smoked meat out of the pot and place on a cutting board.  Take a boning knife and cut all the meat off the smoked neck bones.  Once all meat is cut up, add it back to the pot of greens (THIS WAY WHEN YOU TAKE A BITE OF GREENS, YOU HAVE A PIECE OF MEAT WITH EVERY BITE).  





Greens do not take that long too cook. You DO NOT want them soggy.  It only takes about 30-45 minutes.  Just be sure to stir occasionally.  If you need to add a little water just so they are not sticking to the pot, then do so (A LITTLE).  Also, if you find that you got a little heavy handed with the seasoning, you can add water to take some of the saltiness away.  You can serve greens with just about anything.  I love eating my collard greens with a slice of cornbread or you can eat it over some white rice.  I also put a splash of hot sauce on top.  






What you see here are Crockpot Barbecue Neck bones, Homemade Mac and Cheese, and collard greens!
 
I hope you enjoy this family recipe. I used the following Pampered Chef materials: Creole Seasoning and Nylon spoons.  If you ever want to place an order or would like more information about Pampered Chef, please check out my personal website: www.pamperedchef.biz/maganharrell 


Some interesting facts according to whatscookingamerica.net: 
"Collard greens became the official vegetable of South Carolina when Governor Nikki Haley signed Senate Bill No. 823 (S823) into Law on June 2, 2011."

"According to folklore, collards served with black-eyed peas and hog jowl on New Year's Day promises a year of good luck and financial reward, hanging a fresh leaf over your door will ward off evil spirits, and a fresh leaf placed on the forehead promises to cure a headache."



1 comment:

  1. Love your recipe Magan!! I was going to call a friend & ask her how she made hers, but here you have it right on your blog!! I definitely will try it & it looks wonderful.... Chris

    ReplyDelete