Search This Blog

August 16, 2014

Dinner and Dessert Combo!

I have two recipes for you this week!  A little while back, we went to the local farmers market and they had these vibrant colored bell peppers.  They looked so fresh, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to purchase some.  That same week, some co-workers and I went out to lunch at Applebee's.  Someone at the table next to us had ordered some type of fajitas.  They smelled AMAZING.  I had taken chicken out earlier in the day, thought about my bell peppers, and I instantly knew what was for dinner!  The first recipe is simple, fast, and should be a hit at the dinner table... Chicken Fajitas.

The second recipe was inspired by my friend Diane.  A few of us went to her house for a dinner and for dessert she had this beautifully displayed dessert.  Mostly everyone who knows me can tell you I am a selective chocolate eater.  Although, I did not have a lot of the dessert because it was chocolate, I can tell you my eyes ate everything in the trifle bowl because of how great it looked.  I called Diane for the recipe when I found out I was in charge of dessert for a dinner party.  Very happy about how few ingredients it required, how quick it was to make, and how amazingly tasty it came out.  I also love how adaptable this recipe is.  

Next week, I will be posting a Southern dish that is really easy and very filling.  Happy cooking and baking everyone!

Recipe: Chicken Fajitas 

Ingredients: 
Chicken Strips
1 Red, Yellow, and Green Bell Pepper Sliced
Fajita Seasoning Mix
Seasonings: Season All, Garlic, black pepper, and paprika
Shredded cheese

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Thoroughly rinse your chicken strips.  Season with the seasonings listed above to taste.  Place in a baking dish. Set aside. 


2. In a skillet, place a little cooking oil or canola oil.  Add your sliced peppers and cook until somewhat tender.  If you want, you can add a little seasoning to those as well (black pepper, salt, and garlic).  

3. Add the fajita seasoning (look at packet instructions) to the peppers and immediately remove from the stove.  Add the peppers and sauce to the seasoned chicken.  

4. Cover and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.  I cooked on one side for 15 minutes.  Turned the chicken over and cooked on the other side for 15 minutes.  

5. Uncover.  Get some flour tortillas, make your fajita, and serve.  You have the option of having salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese.  I am sure you will be using your flour tortilla to make sure you get all the excess juice that falls on your plate :). 



Recipe: Oreo Cookie Trifle
 Ingredients:
  • 1 box of milk chocolate brownies (plus the ingredients needed for the brownies)
  • 1 Large container of cool whip
  • 1 Package of Oreo Cookies (you will need to crush/chop)
  • 1 large box of instant chocolate pudding (or two small boxes)
  • Optional: Caramel or chocolate fudge for a topping

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven for brownies.  Make brownies according to package instructions. 
2. Make the instant pudding according to package instructions. 


3. Chop/Crunch your Oreo cookies in a large zip lock bag. 

4. Start layering your trifle:
       a. Layer of brownies (just crumble or scoop and spread around)
       b. Layer of Chocolate Pudding (spread evenly over brownies)
       c. Layer of Cool Whip (spread evenly over pudding)
       d. Layer of Crushed Oreos (spread all around)
       e. Repeat
5. Add some crushed Oreos all over the top.  If you want, you can drizzle some caramel or fudge on top of that!

6. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve

**Make sure your brownies are cool before you start to assemble your trifle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment