Search This Blog

July 13, 2014

Crazy About Corn!

It's summer and one of our favorite side dishes is corn!  We were invited to a 4th of July get together by some friends and we were asked to bring a side dish.  I thought about baked beans and potato salad, but I wanted to do something different.  I had a flashback of a get together with some of my co-workers; one of them brought a delicious corn dip so I decided to make this and bring it to the Fourth of July get together.  Let me just say this was a hit at the get together and it was very easy/simple to make.  There is still a lot of summer left, so try it out at your next gathering!

Recipe: Corn Dip

Ingredients:
1 can yellow and white corn, drained
2 11oz cans mexicorn or fiesta corn
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 bundle of chopped green onions
Garlic Powder and Black Pepper to taste

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.  Add the garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
 
Serve with corn chips or tortilla chips and enjoy!

           Nick and I decided to grill out by the pool a couple of weeks ago.  I tried this new chicken recipe my friend Sarah gave me.  All I needed was a side dish that I knew the kids would eat.  As I was returning from a walk with the kids, my neighbor was telling me about this herb butter she was making.  She took fresh parsley and butter, combined it and then refrigerated it.   That sounded like such a great idea so I did exactly what she did except I used basil.  I figured the best food item to put this butter on was corn on the cob.  I went to the store to buy fresh corn.  I peeled it, cleaned it, and broke them in half.  This was the BEST grilled corn I had ever had! 

Recipe: Grilled Corn on the Cob with Herb Butter


Ingredients: 
Butter
Basil
10 corn on the cob
aluminum foil

Directions:
In a bowl, mix half a stick of butter with about 1/4 cup of fresh herbs (you can use basil, parsley, etc.).  Once you mix the butter and herb, place in the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes.  When your corn is peeled and cleaned, get ready to create a wonderful side dish.  

Rub about a teaspoon of your butter mixture around the corn.  Then wrap the corn in aluminum foil.  Place to the side and finish all other corn on the cob the same way.  Grill corn covered for about 10-15 minutes.  Take aluminum off and place back on grill for about 5 minutes just to get grill marks.  

Serve with your favorite entree or by itself and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment