Search This Blog

April 28, 2012

Parmesan and Pepper Sticks

I was looking for a good snack that my husband, my kids, and I would like.  My daughter eats almost anything, so I knew I didn't have to think to hard for her.  My husband and my son are picky eaters, so I wanted to make something that would satisfy them.  My husband and children all really love to eat bread (garlic bread, sliced bread, bagels, etc,), so I found this really easy recipe in a food magazine.  Takes little time to prep and about 7 minutes to bake.  It would be great for an appetizer, a snack, or party food.  If you decide you don't want something savory, I have provided a sweet alternative.  Happy baking and eating everyone!

Recipe: Parmesan and Pepper Sticks (Courtesy of Martha Stewart Food Magazine
Pictures courtesy of google images
Ingredients:
Flour
Frozen Puff Pastry (thawed)
2 tablespoons of melted, unsalted butter (divided)
6 tablespoons of grated Parmesan
Ground Black Pepper
Parchment Paper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin.  Roll out one sheet of frozen puff pastry (make sure it is thawed) to a 10x18 inch rectangle.  Brush with 1 tablespoon of melted and unsalted butter.  Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan and season with ground pepper.  Gently roll over dough to adhere.  Flip dough and repeat with more butter, cheese, and pepper.

2. Cut dough in half lengthwise, then cut each piece into 1/2 inch wide strips.  Arrange in a single layer on two parchment lined baking sheets and bake until pastry is golden and puffed, about 7 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.  Let cool completely.  Make sure to store sticks in an airtight container (sticks are good for two days).  This recipe makes 72 sticks.  

*There are 212 calories per serving (9 sticks is one serving).

**If you want something sweet instead of savory, instead of using Parmesan cheese and ground pepper, sprinkle puff pastry with cinnamon and sugar.  



No comments:

Post a Comment