Search This Blog

January 4, 2012

Stove Top Pot Roast Recipe

So, to keep up with tradition, on New Year's Day, I decided to make the roast that my mother-in-law bought for us.  I called my mother and asked her for a new way to make the roast (instead of the normal: in the oven or in the crock pot).  She told me that her favorite way to  make the roast is on the stove.  She gave me the recipe and mine came out so good that I decided to post it here.  You can make this for a Sunday dinner, a potluck, or even for a weekday dinner.  I served the roast with salad, corn and rice.  The next day, I made sandwiches for dinner using the same roast.  I love meals that can be transformed into a great dish the next day.  I hope you enjoy it.

Recipe: Stove top Pot Roast




Ingredients:
Onion
Bell pepper
Seasoning
2-3tbsp of sugar
2-3 tbsp of Canola Oil

Directions:
1. First you want to season your meat.  I only had green onion and garlic in the refrigerator and I didn't feel like going to the store, so I used those ingredients.  Typically, I like to have an onion and a bell pepper as well.  When I season my meat, I take a knife and place a hole in the meat.  Then, I stuff the meat with some seasoning and the chopped up onion, bell pepper, garlic. Once I have poked enough holes in the meat and stuffed it with my seasoning/pepper/onion, I add a little seasoning on top as well.  YOU DON'T WANT YOUR ROAST TO BE SALTY, SO DO NOT GET TO HEAVY HANDED.






2. In a big pot, add enough oil just to cover the bottom of the pan (DO NOT ADD TOO MUCH GREASE).  Let the grease get hot and then add your 2-3 tbsp of sugar.  Whisk until it gets to be a brown color.  Then add your roast to the pot.  Cook your roast on ALL sides for about 2-3 minutes (you want a pretty brown color).  Then add a little water to the pot (not too much because you don't want too much juice and plus you will be adding a little throughout the process).  Finally, cover your pot and let your roast cook for 3.5hrs. Be sure to check your roast every 30-60 minutes (turn it over now and then AND add water as needed).  Taste your juice, if it tastes too salty, then add more water to the pot; it will cook down.








3. Take the roast out of the juice and let it rest for about 2 minutes and then slice it.  When you serve it, add some of the juice on top of the meat.  Then serve!  You can serve this with rice, mashed potatoes, or pretty much any side you want.  I like to have a vegetable and a starch with my roast!  After you try this recipe, you will enjoy this sweet, well seasoned recipe as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment