Search This Blog

January 10, 2012

Healthy Sandwich Roll

Last night, I decided to make one of my favorite recipes for my mom.  It something quick, simple, and for her...DIFFERENT.  This took me all of 30 minutes and was very good.  You can change the ingredients however you like, which is why I LOVE this recipe.  Happy cooking and eating everyone!

Chicken, Roast Beef, and Cheese Sandwich Roll
Ingredients:
Whatever vegetables you want (I used bell pepper and tomatoes).  You can add onion to this if you like!
Either two garlic cloves (pressed...the PAMPERED CHEF GARLIC PRESS IS A GREAT TOOL) or you can use 1tbsp of fat free minced garlic.
Refrigerated Pizza Crust
Sliced Cheese (I used Gouda cheese..yum) and shredded cheese (whatever type you really love)
Low Sodium Oven Roasted Chicken and Low Sodium Roast Beef (sliced thin in the deli)
flour
1 egg white
2 tbsp of water
oregano

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
2. Chop your vegetables (you don't want big pieces in your sandwich roll). I used my PAMPERED CHEF FOOD CHOPPER (GREAT INVESTMENT).  Saute your vegetables and about 1/4 tbsp of oregano in a pan until they are cooked. Set aside. 
3. On a cutting board or a flat surface (place light flour on the surface of the cutting board or on the flat surface), unroll your pizza dough.  Using a lightly floured roller, roll out your dough to a nice square (12x9).  



4. In the middle of the pizza dough (long ways), place the vegetables on top first.  Then add your your sliced cheese. Then add your meats.  Then add your shredded cheese.  Make sure you add lots of meat and lots of cheese. One thing I hate is eating a sandwich with little meat :(.  When I went to the deli, I asked for a 1/4lb of each of my meats (about 9 slices per type of meat)
5. Long way, start to roll your dough (like a jelly roll).  Place the dough (seam side down) on a round baking dish.  In a separate bowl, mix the egg whites and water.  Brush the top of your roll with the egg white mixture.  Sprinkle oregano on top of your roll and then place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.  





Again, you can put ANYTHING you like in this roll: seafood, vegetables only, breakfast foods, etc.  You can serve this for lunch, dinner, or even a party.  

***While I was making this yummy meal, my mom was frying some empanadas.  Empanadas are a Spanish or Latin American pastry turnover filled with a variety of savory ingredients and baked or fried.  Anytime our family friend, Mrs. Martha, knows we are in town, she always send empanadas with my mom.  WE LOVE LOVE LOVE these.  Our favorite are the empanadas with beef.  Nick likes to dip his in ranch dressing!  
Picture from google images 

No comments:

Post a Comment