Search This Blog

December 31, 2011

Shrimp Creole Recipe

My finished product
So, a friend and fellow Pampered Chef consultant asked for a recipe for shrimp etouffee and shrimp creole.  I had to call my mother (yes, again) for the recipes to give to her.  My family is from Louisiana and we tend to make shrimp creole, shrimp etouffee, gumbo, jambalaya, and many other Cajun dishes.  As I was sending her the recipes, I got inspired to make some shrimp creole for the family.  Shrimp creole is most popular in New Orleans and in the bayou country of the southern most half of Louisiana.The recipe for this Cajun dish is listed below.  I modified it a little (you will see my modifications in parenthesis).  Enjoy!


Shrimp Creole
Picture from google images




Ingredients:




  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 large green bell pepper diced 
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 2 stalks of celery diced
  • 2 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 can of whole tomatoes (drain and then chop)
  • 1 cup of shrimp stock or clam juice (I used 1 and 1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 tsp of Paprika
  • 1/2tsp of dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp of cayenne (I used a little less than 1/2)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
  • Green onions, for garnish
  • 2-4 cups of cooked white rice (Cook according to package instructions)
Directions:
1. In a large skillet or saucepan, melt your butter over medium heat.  Then add your green peppers, onions, celery, and garlic.  Cook until all the vegetables are softened (about 5 minutes).  

2. Add the tomatoes, clam juice, paprika, salt, thyme, cayenne, black pepper, and a little creole seasoning (I used the creole seasoning from Pampered Chef).  Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 25 minutes (MAKE SURE YOU STIR FREQUENTLY).


3. Add the shrimp and then cook for about 5 minutes.  Again, make sure you stir frequently.  (I actually sauteed my shrimp for about 1 minute in a separate skillet and then added them to my vegetable mixture).

4. When you serve, place rice on the plate first and then spoon the shrimp and sauce over the white rice.  For garnish, you can add the green pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment